Monday, November 21, 2011

Vapor Trails and a Sunset from Pasadena, Calif.

I've done my share of landscape photography. The sky;  the air space above the horizon was not such an attraction to me as it has been in the last several years. The sky and it's effects supported a photograph's subject, but was not the subject itself - my thinking anyway.  The digital camera and Photoshop probably had a lot to do with my increased interest in giving the atmosphere full stage.  Playing with the saturation,   levels, curves, density and filters ( did I miss anything? ) turned the upper half of our physical space into worthy subject matter, a photograph that needed no other support or reason to explain itself.


 I would also have to admit that it's a fairly safe place to aim the camera.... the sky has been my refuge from a street photographer's anxious world - my anxiety and those people I shoot without warning. I haven't abandoned the streets and the workings of those streets as a subject entirely.  The upper half has given me a resting place where I can still make a composition from almost nothing but a cloud. Here's a couple more images quite different from each other yet in the skyward category. I'll work these posts down to street level eventually, I think.


Jim Staub

No comments:

Post a Comment